Surprise!! We made it through the first week. Here are some highlights:
The best part about this week was:
- Knowing delivery was over and she was in our arms safely. The feeling of mystery was gone, the fear of being pushed off a cliff had vanished. We knew her, finally.
Some things we've learned:
- The best things in life are worth the wait.
- As cheesy as it sounds, the ol' saying, "A baby fills the spot in your heart that you never knew was empty" couldn't be more true.
- We have been blessed with the most incredible support network. Our family and friends are simply extraordinary. The encouragement we have received from everyone, from people we have known for months to dear friends from past seasons of our lives, has been mind blowing.
- You can't pick up and go when you have a baby.
Some things we've learned the hard way:
- Breast feeding is an art that requires much patience and practice.
- Being burped by her Daddy!
Olivia surprised us when:
- She was born with more inches than pounds.
- We saw she looked just like her Mom from the neck up and her Dad from her neck down. (Except for the obvious, of course. We laughed throughout the pregnancy about the possibility of ending up with an Oliver which is why we painted the nursery marigold rather than bubblegum pink...).
- We had to wake her up at night to feed her--she's a great sleeper so far.