Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cashing in the Christmas Money

Does anybody else hang on to their Christmas money until this time of year?  I find that saving it will give me something exciting to look forward to during these lagging months of the new year.  On one of my walks in effort to prevent pregnancy cankles, I ran across a large sign in a window.  A blown-up cover of a cookbook, which had me at hello.


(You'll have to forgive the photo quality, I only took the picture so I'd remember the date of the signing...)




My sister and I trudged downtown on Saturday during the monsoon, hoping to be able to chitty chat with Cheryl and Giffith Day.  There weren't a ton of people there, but the Day's were NOT trying to be social.  So we snacked on the Mexican Hot Chocolate & Lavender Shortbread cookies and left it at that.




Squint, you can see Griffith in the window!  Cheryl and Giffith looked exactly as they appeared on the cover of their book, which is so so awesome.  I think they are probably just really genuine people, who were maybe tired of telling their story 75 times?  Or maybe the rain had gotten them down in the dumps.


Side Note: If you live in or ever visit Charleston, the Heirloom Book Company on lower King is a must for any cookbook lover.  Just put your hands in your pockets and don't touch anything--it is all so beautiful!  They had a complete box set of Julia Child's "The Way to Cook" on VHS.  It was $120something dollars.  It did not come home with me.  Plus, we don't have a VCR.


All of this to say, my sister and I were glad to have gotten out on a Saturday afternoon, and I am over-the-moon about reading every word of this beautiful new book.  I need people to volunteer to eat the things I will be baking.  First up will be their Buttermilk Chess Pie--my in-laws promised me I wouldn't be sorry.  "We haven't had one since we lived in Dallas!"


Merry Christmas in March!





No comments:

Post a Comment